Monday, February 16, 2009

Puppy Love

I have decided that I MUST have Pomeranians in my life always and forever. In fact, I don't know why it has taken me so long to get one. I have loved Poms since I was a kids--I always thought that if I was to ever get a small dog that Poms would be my choice. I just think they are probably one of the cutest dogs in the world with their little foxy faces and fluffy hair!

I have always preferred long-haired dogs. I like being able to bury my hands in it and stroke it and brush it. And up 'til a few years ago I have always preferred BIG dogs--never could understand why someone would waste their time on some little ankle-biter dog when you could have a REAL dog!

When I was a freshman in high school our PE/basketball coach got a puppy from one of the dairy kids. He was a German Shepherd cross and he was HUGE! His name was Moose, and let me tell you--he certainly fit his name! I came across Moose one day while I was over at my sister's fiance's house (just around the corner) training their puppy Shamus. Coach walked out of his house and saw me walking the dog and asked what I was doing. I had been training dogs since I was about ten, starting with my dad's hunting dogs, and he was impressed and asked if I wanted to train Moose.

It was love at first sight. Moose was the most intelligent dog I had ever gotten to be around. He was the perfect dog--and he taught me a thing or two along the way! Needless to say Coach let me do what I wanted with him and we basically shared him for the next several years. I would take Moose with me on the weekends when I got to go camping--he was my companion of choice on my very first trip. I mean, who is going to mess around with a girl who has a 120 pound Shepherd with her, right?!

But Moose spoiled me for other dogs. Every dog I have had since must go up against the Moose Meter--and none of them have ever measured up. Some have come close, but none have been Moose.

But now I have these two small dogs, and I have found that they give me great joy every day. They aren't Moose--far from it. But between the two of them they fulfill that joy and love I had with him better than any one dog ever has before. They make me laugh every day with their antics! Tavi, I have figured out, believes he is a big dog that unfortunately happens to live in a small dog body. So it offends him greatly to be picked up and loved on or carried anywhere. I have taken to putting a leash on him to take him to the truck to go anywhere so that he thinks he is a big boy--gives him a much better attitude! And when he comes into the house and demands my attention by barking and grabbing at my pants I just sit down and pet him on the floor instead of picking him up and snuggling him.

Jazz, on the other hand, believes her feet should never be on the floor and that my job in life is to snuggle her and be as close to her as is humanly possible. If I sit down, you can be guaranteed she is cuddled up against me before I even get comfortable! If I am at the computer she lays under my feet. At night she sleeps between my hubby and my pillows. Tavi prefers his kennel--it is his "man cave" where he can chew on his toys and have some peace and quiet without his sister bugging him.

I am content with these pint-sized morsels of dogdom for my companions. They aren't big, but they are big in love and laughter and joy of living. They protect me from noises outside--Jazz is the barker of the two--and they keep me warm and remind me that I am loved every single day. I look at them and think to myself, "why did it take me so long to find you?!" and they just look up at me with those adorable little bright-eyed faces and I realize that i am a very lucky person. They are mine and I am theirs--life is good!







No comments: